Sunday, March 4, 2012

Another decision, The power of Forgiveness

THE SIXTH DECISION FOR SUCCESS
I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.
For too long, every ounce of forgiveness I owned was locked away, hidden from view, waiting for me
to bestow its precious presence upon some worthy person. Alas, I found most people to be singularly
unworthy of my valuable forgiveness, and since they never asked for any, I kept it all for myself. Now,
the forgiveness that I hoarded has sprouted inside my heart like a crippled seed yielding bitter fruit.
No more! At this moment, my life has taken on new hope and assurance. Of all the world's
population, I am one of the few possessors of the secret to dissipating anger and resentment. I now
understand that forgiveness has value only when it is given away. By the simple act of granting forgiveness, I release the demons of the past about which I can do nothing, and I create in myself a new heart, a
new beginning.
I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit. I will forgive even those who do not ask for
forgiveness.
Many are the times when I have seethed in anger at a word or deed thrown into my life by an
unthinking or uncaring person. I have wasted valuable hours imagining revenge or confrontation. Now I
see the truth revealed about this psychological rock inside my shoe. The rage I nurture is often onesided, for my offender seldom gives thought to his offense!
I will now and forevermore silently offer my forgiveness even to those who do not see that they
need it. By the act of forgiving, I am no longer consumed by unproductive thoughts. I give up my
bitterness. I am content in my soul and effective again with my fellow man.
I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit. I will forgive those who criticize me unjustly.
Knowing that slavery in any form is wrong, I also know that the person who lives a life according to the
opinion of others is a slave. I am not a slave. I have chosen my counsel. I know the difference between
right and wrong. I know what is best for the future of my family, and neither misguided opinion nor
unjust criticism will alter my course.
Those who are critical of my goals and dream s simply do not understand the higher purpose to
which I have been called. Therefore, their scorn does not affect my attitude or action. I forgive their lack
of vision, and I forge ahead. I now know that criticism is part of the price paid for leaping past
mediocrity.


I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit. I will forgive myself. For many years, my greatest
enemy has been myself. Every mistake, every miscalculation, every stumble I made has been replayed
again and again in my mind. Every broken promise, every day wasted, every goal not reached has
compounded the disgust I feel for the lack of achievement in my life. My dismay has developed a
paralyzing grip. When I disappoint myself, I respond with inaction and become more disappointed.
I realize today that it is impossible to fight an enemy living in my head. By forgiving myself, I erase the
doubts, fears, and frustration that have kept my past in the present. From this day forward, my history
will cease to control my destiny. I have forgiven myself. My life has just begun.
I will forgive even those who do not ask for forgiveness. I will forgive those who criticize me
unjustly.
I will forgive myself.
I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment